Sept. 16, 1971 — The official opening of Oshkosh’s Centennial Year occurs. A convocation is held at Albee Hall. The University Wind Ensemble opens with “Overture” from Bellini’s Norma. This same piece was performed when the school was first dedicated on Sept. 19, 1871. A sealed cardboard box is later opened. Previously stored at the library with the instructions to not open it until the Centennial, it contained two paper carnations of white and gold – the school flower and colors – that Rose Swart had worn during the Jubilee held in 1921.
Sept. 18, 1964 — The Wisconsin Library Association names the Forrest R. Polk Library the “Wisconsin Library of the Year.” The citation commends the library, among other things, “for providing library service of high quality in the knowledge that faculty and student growth depends upon the excellence of such service.”
Sept. 19, 1971 — The university dedicates a new addition to the School of Education.
Sept. 20, 1900 — Dr. Charles W. Oviatt and his wife Petronella pay $18,000 to purchase the school property that bears their name from local attorney Moses Hooper.
Sept. 21, 2002 — Oshkosh hosts one of the largest Earth Charter Community Summits in the nation. It is based on the Earth Charter’s 2000 initiative to “establish a sound ethical foundation for the emerging global society and to help build a sustainable world based on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice and a culture of peace.” Oshkosh is one of more than 20 sites linked together via the Internet.
Sept. 22, 2001 — The inaugural Fall Fest on the Fox concludes with a crepe breakfast, workshops, tours, antique car show, arts and crafts fair, live bands, international foods, children’s events, pie and custard social and baseball clinic. The two-day event is designed to promote citizen accessibility, student recruitment and retention.
Source: UWO Archives